Monday, August 8, 2011

Plague by Michael Grant


Plague is the fourth book in the Gone series and when it came out I had many former students asking me for it. I didn't even get it back until the end of June because so many kids who've read the first three books needed to read this one. I was starting to lose interest in this series after the third book Lies , but I'm back to really enjoying these books after finishing this one today.

The kids in the FAYZ are still surviving - barely and once again they are faced with new challenges and old enemies seeking revenge. In the last three books, we've seen Astrid and Sam with a few other friends do their best to make sure everyone is safe and working hard to survive. Yet the challenge of trying to lead this group is taking its toll on them. Drake has been captured and Caine and Diana have disappeared much to everyones relief. But in this novel, once again Sam and Astrid are faced with enemies and mysterious beings and mutations that threaten everyone's safety. To top it all off, a mysterious flu is sweeping the FAYZ and both sides fight to stay alive.

Once again, Grant writes a story that is fast paced and surprising. You never know exactly what is going to happen to the kids and if the good guys will win or be defeated. As I started this book, I didn't think I was going to make it though, but I was quickly caught up in the characters lives and wanting to know how everything was going to turn out for them. There are a few pieces that I find really confusing, such as Little Pete's story and the story of The Darkness. I'm not sure if I just read to quickly over the last few books and I've forgotten what is happening or this is Grant's way to keep readers reading. However, not understanding those two parts did not detract from the enjoyment of reading this story.
If you've read this series, you might also be interested in checking out the Youtube videos of Grant talking about his books.

No comments:

Post a Comment