Sunday, August 10, 2014

Narc by Crissa-Jean Chappell

There is nothing better than the summer! I love being able to go to my 'to be read' pile and picking the first book I see and heading out to the pool and reading it in one sitting. Narc is the book I picked up this morning. I purchased this one at Chapter a few weeks ago when I went on a small (!) book buying binge. It's not my typical book, but I did enjoy it. Aaron is a high school senior who is just trying to make it through his last year of high school. He doesn't have any friends, and really struggles to know how to talk to people. But when his sister is busted for having a bag of weed, he takes the blame and the punishment. His only chance of avoiding jail is to turn into a narc- someone who will infiltrate the drug scene at his high school in order to find the person who is supplying all the drugs to the students. For Aaron, this task seems overwhelming since he has never run with that crowd. But as he starts getting to know the more popular kids and learning about their lives, he is very reluctant to turn them over to the police. He must choose between what he knows is right and what he wants to do. This was a pretty good story, I didn't love it, but I really felt for Aaron. He is a guy just trying to do his best to get through. I found the story a bit hard to follow, lots of characters and not a lot of depth to them. It was hard keeping track of their motivations. But I did enjoy the story and was eager to discover how Aaron would make out. Even though this book was written about a senior in high school and deals with drugs, there isn't anything that would stop me from putting it in my grade 7 classroom. I'm just not sure how many kids will pick it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment